My Flickr Gallery

My Flickr Gallery
create with flickr badge.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Could most school kids ID these leaves? (March 14/365)

This is my #365Project #photography selection for today! I picked these up in the backyard and I again wondered why our science curriculum, to my knowledge, never says in any of the years, that kids will explore and learn the basic tree, bird, mammal, insect (etc) species in their area. Kids leave 13 years of schooling and cannot identify this tree or common birds around the school. Will the Common Core Science standards address this real-life nature knowledge?

I'm into birds and I share my knowledge and obsession/passion. Just ask around. :) I see that when people learn just a couple of birds by sight or song, it usually opens doors for them to observe, WONDER, and seek out more knowledge.

My 6th graders will be using cameras to explore trees and birds and more this spring and we'll put their working knowledge to the ID test at our Missouri Dept of Conservation grant field trip to Hartell Lakes Conservation Area, in which the kids fish (learn basic fish and fishing techniques), explore a pond for macroinvertebrates and more, and hike with binoculars to observe/id trees, mammals, and birds (by sight and song)!

2 comments:

  1. I have been able to get 15 students each month on the second Saturday of every month to F.L. Schlagle library at Wyandotte County Lake. It is one of the best things I have ever done as a teacher. We participate in the Bird in Hand workshop. I am amazed on how I get more participation on a Saturday than so many of my homework assignments (LOL). My students are eager to tell what they learned and some can even identify them after going. I love to watch them interact with nature and the excitement that it drums up in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! Does Craig Hensley lead those Saturday workshops and is it bird banding? Did you open it up as an option for any child interested? I may do this, too! What are the times on that?

    ReplyDelete